Tuesday

What does a Medical Directive do for me?

In its' simplest : It is up to me to choose from the various options, including what my wishes are and how I make my wishes known when I can no longer speak for myself.

Motivating reasons for having a Medical Directive:
  • Reduce the potential of family conflict and resentment.
  • Greater assurance that my wishes will be respected.
  • That instructions like "heroic measures" can be qualified for the least ambiguity.
  • That advocates will be agreeable, aware and understanding of my directions while I have the capacity to convey my wishes clearly.
It should be noted that each provincial and territorial jurisdiction within Canada has its own laws so the specific answers may vary. (You will find potential options only here...you'll need to see your Trusted Professionals for opinions and most recommendations.) It is wise to check your Medical Directive as well as any other critical documents with a lawyer if you change your jurisdiction of residence. And it may be necessary to reconsider who will be your Advocate with an expansive relocation. A best friend in Halifax won't be that helpful if you are now living in Alberta. The miles between Yarmouth and Bathurst could even be problematic.

Currently there is no Law allowing a directive in New Brunswick nor any of the Territories.
There currently is no Law with a list of substitute advocates in Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick nor the Territories.

Issues that relate to continued health care when I am no longer to able to make those decisions fall under the responsibilities of a Power of Attorney. See POA on the Legal Stuff page for more information.

No comments: